Welcome to the New England Intergroup of S.L.A.A. Web Site!
- Note! - Our next NEI business meeting is Sunday, February 14, 2016 from 5:00PM-7:00PM. Please feel free to join us at our regular monthly meeting. For more details on the meeting location, click here.
- Help plan for International Recovery Convention (IRC) and Annual Business Meeting (ABM) to take place at Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor Hotel (Airport) in August 2016. A Planning Committee has been meeting to help plan for the IRC event which will mark the 40 anniversary of S.L.A.A. The Planning Committee upcoming meeting dates are Thursday nights 6:30-8:00pm: January 7th, January 21st, February 4th, February 18th, February 25th, and March 10th in Newton and by conference line. There will be lots of service opportunities to help create the event: suggest topics, design flyers, create a list of area activities for out of town guests, help with registration, plan the banquet, create recovery souvenirs/t-shirts, etc. We have a theme: "40 years, Evolving and Growing in Recovery" and now need help creating the logo. For more information please see IRC 2016 flyer for more information. You may also email the .
- Elect Your Group Representative and Join NEI at Sunday, January 10, 2016 Meeting Each group within NEI can elect a Group Representative and Alternate Group Representative. Consider being your group representative/liaison to NEI. Representatives are elected by their groups at business meetings. In January 2016 NEI will hold elections for NEI officer positions. Positions are available with varying lengths of sobriety. Please see Elections Flyer for more information.
- Your are Not Alone - Valentine's Day Get Together - Saturday, February 13th - Newton, MA. Join us for an evening of Recovery, Friendship and Fellowship! Valentine's Day can be a struggle, get some extra support and fellowship to help stay sober. For more information please see Valentine's Day 2016 flyer for more information.
- Save the Dates for NEI Events, Retreats, Meetings etc. in 2016. The NEI Activities Committee has planned activities and retreats for the upcoming year 2016. The attached flyer is meant to print back-to-back and to be a bookmark. It includes four dates of Vermont 12-Step weekends in 2016, Spring Gathering date in April, Annual Mount Wachusett Hike in May, 12-Step S.L.A.A. Retreat Center at La Salette in Attleboro in June, 12-Step Anorexia Retreat weekend in Vermont in September, the Annual Business Meeting date and International Recovery Convention taking place at Boston Harbor Hotel at the airport in August 2016. Please see 2016 NEI Events Bookmark for more information.
- Vermont 12-Step Weekend is March 18-20, 2016. The retreats are not only about sharing experience, strength, and hope, but a chance to have lots of fun and laughs as well! We not only work the Steps, but also provide an opportunity to get to know ourselves, as well as other S&L addicts in a safe place. There is also ample opportunity for "down" time if your schedule is overwhelming you - for more information, visit our retreat web page or contact the . Postmark your registration by the early registration deadline of February 19th to qualify for the discount. You may email the Vermont Coordinator within this bullet for more information. To reserve a space for the weekend navigate to the flyer within this bullet, fill-out form on page 2 and send completed form with your check to the PO Box. You might also take a photo of your completed form and email it to the Vermont weekend coordinator within this bullet in addition to mailing your check and form to the PO Box.
- Annual Spring Recovery Gathering – Saturday, April 23, 2016 in Newton, MA. Join NEI for our Annual Spring Recovery Gathering – the gathering’s theme is “Face It, Trace It and Erase It”. Day includes key note speakers at the beginning and end of the day and topic discussion meetings throughout the day. Click here for more information.
- Mass. 12-Step S.L.A.A. Weekend in Attleboro, MA – June 17-19, 2016. Join fellow members at NEI's second Massachusetts 12-step S.L.A.A. weekend in Attleboro. At the weekend we will do an intensive study of the 12 Steps--together. If you have worked on the Steps in this type of format before, you already know its value. If you have not done any study of the Steps, intensive or otherwise, this may be a great opportunity to try. We not only work the Steps, but also provide an opportunity to get to know ourselves, as well as other S&L addicts in a safe place. There is also ample opportunity for "down" time if the schedule is overwhelming you. Click here for more information. The early registration deadline is May 20th. Send in your registration form and check by this date to qualify for early registration rate.
- 12-Step Anorexia Weekend in Vermont – Sept. 23-25, 2016. Join us in Vermont for NEI's second 12-step Anorexia weekend. Anorexia is defined as the “compulsive avoidance of giving or receiving social, sexual, or emotional nourishment” in the S.L.A.A. pamphlet called “ANOREXIA Sexual, Social, Emotional” published in 1992. If you have attended a 12-Step S.L.A.A. Vermont weekend before the format of the weekend is similar to other weekends except that at this weekend we will be using the Anorexia Step Materials being developed by S.L.A.A. For more information review the registration flyer here. If you have questions on the weekend contact the . Sign up by August 26, 2016 to qualify for the discounted registration rate. To reserve a space for the weekend navigate to the flyer within this bullet, fill-out form on page 2 and send completed form with your check to the PO Box. You might also take a photo of your completed form and email it to the Vermont weekend coordinator within this bullet in addition to mailing your check and form to the PO Box.
- NEI has contact/representative information for only 26 out of 60 groups (43%) under the NEI service area – we need your help Please review flyer here to see if Group(s)/Meetings you attend have a group contact or representative to NEI. NEI is asking each meeting to provide a meeting contact to NEI. Please bring this form to your local meeting & discuss at your next business meeting.
- NEI Officer Elections were in January 2014 Every meeting in the New England Intergroup area (Eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island) is allowed two voting representatives at the monthly Intergroup business meetings. Only elected representatives with at least 3 months of continuous sobriety are considered voting members at the NEI business meetings. However, anyone may attend and do service and anyone may speak at the meetings. If your meeting does not have any representatives, please consider choosing someone to represent your group to attend the NEI business meetings. Meetings are held the 2nd Sunday of each month (with a few exceptions) at Newton Wellesley Hospital from 5:00-7:00PM. Click here for more information.
- Facilitators Needed for Institutional S.L.A.A. Meetings in Bridgewater, MA - November 2013 The Massachusetts Correctional Treatment Facility in Bridgewater, MA holds two
S.L.A.A meetings every week on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. They are looking for S.L.A.A. members to come in and facilitate the meetings. Without anyone to facilitate
the meetings, the state will cancel the S.L.A.A. program. These meetings are for men who have committed sexual crimes. Inmates undergo physical and psychological screening and must be on good behavior before they are
allowed to attend. For many of them it is their first S.L.A.A. meeting and their first experience with addiction recovery. We have one S.L.A.A. member who volunteered to facilitate the meetings, but he cannot do it all himself. He needs help. We need volunteers willing to go to Bridgewater to facilitate some of the meetings to help these men with their first steps
on the road to recovery. Volunteers must be:
- Willing to submit to a background check (including full name)
- Have no criminal record
If you are interested in finding out more about facilitating institutional meetings in Bridgewater, contact .
- 60/40 Flyer – Please share this information with your group(s) when making contributions to NEI and/or FWS In financial matters, Seventh Tradition states that S.L.A.A is self-supporting at all levels. What this means is that neither the group, the intergroup, or F.W.S. accepts outside contributions. In accordance with Tradition Six, S.L.A.A. at all levels makes no contributions to any outside organization, movement or cause, no matter how worthy. Take care of basic group expenses (rent, literature, Annual Business Meeting fund, prudent reserve, and other group needs.) Divide any remaining amounts - 60% to Intergroup and 40% to Fellowship Wide Services or whatever the group decides. This is a suggestion. Each group is free to decide on its own ratios. Click 7th Tradition Fact Sheet and Form for more information. Also see Supporting S.L.A.A. The 60-40 Way for more information.
- Help Translate S.L.A.A. Literature and Help Carry the S.L.A.A. Message Around the World The S.L.A.A. Translation Committee which was formed in July 2009 is looking for S.L.A.A. members who speak others languages that could help translate S.L.A.A. literature into Spanish, Hebrew, Hindi, Bengali, Chinese, French, Korean, Indonesian, Norwegian, Japanese, Russian, Arabic, Farsi, or any other language. Click here for more information.
- Register Your Group with Fellowship-Wide Services (FWS) FWS is requesting that all groups register their meetings with them directly. Please see link here for more information along with link to group registration form.
- Do you want to receive monthly mailings from New England Intergroup (NEI)? Sign up to receive monthly mailings from NEI which includes NEI’s monthly newsletter, quarterly meeting list, NEI financials and monthly meeting summaries. Also find out about NEI activities including NEI’s 12-Step Vermont Weekends, Spring and Fall Recovery Gatherings, Event flyers (some previous events have included: Movie Afternoon, Hiking on Mount Wachusett, Bowling, Biking on the Esplanade, Kayaking on the Charles, etc.) Click here to download form to sign-up.
- Journal Books on Sale. Read stories from members of the S.L.A.A. fellowship. The “First Ten Years of the Journal” books have been reduced. Click here for more information.
- Subscribe to the Journal Subscribe to S.L.A.A.'s meeting in print. Click here to subscribe to the Journal.
- If you have a new meeting or your existing meeting has changed time or location, be sure to fill out a NEI meeting information form. Remember that all groups need to register with their Intergroup (NEI) to get on the local meeting list, and with Fellowship-Wide Services (FWS) which publishes a booklet of S.L.A.A. meetings world-wide.
- Need meeting information or more on S.L.A.A.? Ou meetings are listed on-line by day, time, and city/town. You can also get meeting information via our answering service or request a complete meeting list sent by postal mail. Click to our meeting information page for more information.
Copyright © 2016. All Rights Reserved - New England Intergroup of
P. O. Box 1375, Brookline, MA 02446-0011